Wednesday, August 5, 2009

After you are gone

Trees last so long
Even after you are gone
I know that you love me
And so you will see
You are meant for me
And I was meant for you…..


Jumping from a strict convent girl’s school to a co-ed was a huge step in my life. It was one of the most unnerving experiences ever. I missed my friends, and I was sure I would never make friends again in my life. But the scariest part were these weird looking creatures who were loud, dirty and too sure of themselves, a.k.a the guys. I was severely intimidated, and pretty much mumbled my introduction to the class. The teacher was kind enough and welcomed me to the seventh grade. In those days the girls and boys were made to sit together so that the class would be a little less boisterous. Being one of the tall girls the teacher had no option but to make me sit in the only vacant seat at the back of the class. I stumbled through the row and took my seat without looking up even once. That’s the day I met him. He came forward and introduced himself. I was too bashful to even look up. I didn’t talk to him the first few days. I was too scared. He was one of the popular guys, I was the new girl. But we became friends. We helped each other in tests, got caught by I don’t know how many teachers for cheating. Did a number of projects together .We became friends.

By the time we were in the eighth grade people started teasing us. In the ninth grade we stopped talking. But I had started liking him and I missed him. I had never felt that way before. I had no one to talk to. My friends were already making fun of me. I told my best friend and it was her advice that changed my life. He was leaving that year. He was moving to another city. She said I would never see him again and so I should tell him. On the last day of ninth grade I waited at the bus stop while my friends went to get him. I turned my back when I saw him coming. When I felt him close I turned around and there he was. I was a bundle of nerves. Before I could say anything he said he had always thought of me as a friend and never anything more than that. I was heart broken. But I was too young to realise that this was just the first in a million times my heart was going to break. I got home and cried for him for two whole days.
Later on I found out that my best friend had been going out with him. She never felt the same to me after that.

Two years passed. I got his mail. I had no intentions of replying. I was angry. But I did. We exchanged phone numbers. We spoke to each other everyday. It happened again and on October 1st after almost one whole year, he confessed that he liked me. I was overjoyed. It felt like love. It was perfect. Then his phone got confiscated. I missed him and cried for a week. We had our boards approaching. Eventually we stopped talking. For 6 months we didn’t talk. After coming back from Britain I called him on his birthday.

I don’t know where we are today. I don’t know where we are going. But without talking for months he is still a very important part of my life. I have some superb school memories and the sweetest things that he said are still with me. I dearly love him and hope him all the luck on his birthday today. He deserves all the happiness and love. Maybe I am not as important to him but he will forever remain one of the most vital persons in my life.

7 comments:

  1. one word tht comes out just aftr reading this.. .."beautifull !!!" So cute n so much fun to read...ur improving a lot !!
    Keep writing th good stuff...I am hooked to ur blog nw

    ReplyDelete
  2. tnhk u sir....ur comments are always appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so moving. Was it the same best friend who gave that advice, the one who was going out with him? I hope not, coz if yes then she was one spank-worthy creature.

    Wish you all the best, with the guy and with everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yup...the same one...in this very moving story...which i completely made up
    n i m glad u lik it

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Talk about realism in fiction! Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work .... Luking for more :)

    ReplyDelete